The Austrian Business Council (ABC) was founded in 1996 as an association of Austrian and Japanese corporations and individuals engaged and/or interested in business between Austria and Japan. It represents the interests of the Austrian Business Community in Japan.
The objective of the ABC is to promote the development of trade between Austria and Japan by supporting the network activities of Austria-related companies in Japan. In order to achieve this objective the ABC:
- promotes measures that benefit and protect the interests of Austrian companies in Japan
- provides, from time to time, to its Members – Japanese as well as Austrian – information concerning company activities and related matters of interest
- associates and cooperates with other organizations (particularly the European Business Council, the German Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan etc.) who share mutual interests
- promotes friendship among ABC members and Japanese businesses
- provides a base for information and contacts for the EBC
The ABC is also proud member of the Japan Market Expansion Competition (JMEC) since summer 2010.
The Executive Committee is the lead body of the ABC. Its members represent wide Austrian business interests in Japan and include at least one Individual Member and one Member from outside the Tokyo area. The Commercial Counsellor of the Austrian Embassy Commercial Section, Mr. Ingomar Lochschmidt, is member ex officio and acts as Executive Director of the ABC.
Current ABC President is Mr. Harald Alge.